It is very important that your trust is properly written and founded. A trust can only be truly effective and those assets that have been placed into it. A trust will be of no benefit if the assets have not been transferred or if you pass away without funding the trust, in which case, your estate will be subject to probate and taxation.
The benefits of a living trust when issued correctly are:
1) Avoid probate on your assets
2) Plan for the possibility of your own incapacity
3) Control what happens to your property after you are gone
4) Use it for any size estate
5) Prevent your financial affairs from becoming a matter of public record